Monday, January 10, 2011

Session 2 reflections

Well, when ponderous questions such as "Who am I" and "Why am I here" serve as the opening for a workshop, I know I am in trouble.  I'm just not as comfortable putting my innermost thoughts into words as some people are I guess.  I stuck to the safe, talk of job and past jobs, or family and education, rounded out by admitting that I'm still not sure about why I am here, and in a nod to honesty added that I was anxious that everyone else seems further on their path than me.

Shortly after Paul gave a talk where the main idea (at least for me) was that on a journey, everyone starts where they are and that is okay.  It made me think of teaching where I used to say that wherever you are starting in (math/spelling/reading/etc) is fine, the only way to fail is to not move your skill level forward.  I'd like to apply this to myself, but I don't know how to judge improvement when I haven't identified the subject area.  So, although logically I know it is not a race and there is no grade, I am still having some anxiety about 'finishing' on time.

I really enjoyed the entire session and continue to be amazed at how calm and collected both Paul and Larry are when speaking.  More about Larry's content later.

No comments:

Post a Comment