Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Boldly going...

Today I did something out of my comfort zone.  I sent in a proposal for a presentation at the regional NACADA (an international advising community) conference.  I hate speaking in public, but for once thought maybe I had something worth saying and no one else could say it.

At OSU I am a member of the Veteran Workgroup, and it is this amazing, dynamic and tireless group of people, most of which are NOT veterans, who are working to make the experience of that particular subgroup of students better.  The group around the table represents all corners of campus and has helped OSU grow to be seen as the leader in the veteran service effort in Oregon. Go us!

So, I'm part of this great process, with both success and failure behind us, with hope and challenge ahead, and I thought - it's a story worth telling.  I am knowledgeable about it, and no one else from the group is going to this conference.  A few succinct (yes, I am capable of being brief...) paragraphs and one click of the mouse and off it went into cyberspace.

It may not be selected.  I might not have to build up the further courage to actually TELL the story out loud.  But I am proud of myself for putting the idea out there and saying that I am open to the opportunity. Part of me (a fairly sizable percentage) wants to pull it back and say 'just kidding!' but it's done. 

Just writing the proposal made me realize how proud I am of what this group has accomplished, I am a small player but I get to share in the greater vision and success.  It's not just a meeting every third Thursday, it's shared selfless service to make the student experience better.  That to me, is what advising should be about, not just confirming course selections and issuing registration PINs, but working to make a difference for individual students.

No comments:

Post a Comment